Marketing is the action or business of researching, planning, executing, promoting and selling products or services. Social media is a communication medium that enables users to create content, share content or participate in social networking. Social media as a medium is very different from traditional media for two reasons. First, the activity is largely public and accessible to marketers for research. Second, the medium allows for bi-directional communication – both direct and indirect.
A strong social media marketing strategy must incorporate both the distinct features of social media as well as leverage the methods by which a brand can be monitored and promoted.Business results don’t always have to be the actual purchase, but they can be building awareness, trust, and authority. In fact, social media isn’t often found to drive direct purchases unless it’s by way of a discount or promotion.
Different Ways Social Media Marketing Helps Businesses:
- Showcase your brand – If one person shares your brand, product or service, it can be seen and shared by a highly-engaged audience.
- Develop a loyal community – If you have an effective social strategy of providing value to your audience – either by direct assistance, curated content, or other news, tips and tricks, your community will grow to appreciate and trust you. Trust and authority are important elements of any purchase decision.
- Improve customer service –When your customer calls you for help, it’s a 1:1 conversation. But when a customer reaches out on social media, your audiences get to see how you react and respond their needs.
- Increase digital exposure – Why product content without a strategy to share and promote it? Developing content doesn’t mean if you build it, they will come. They won’t. So building a great social network where the community become brand advocates is incredibly powerful.
- Boost traffic and SEO – While the search engines continue to exclude links, fans and followers as a direct factor in search engine ranking, there’s no doubt that a strong social media strategy will drive great search engine results.
- Expand sales and reach new audience